Tuesday 20 September 2011

Unemployed in the U.K.

For the past two days, the most interesting thing I can say I've done is that I've started watching the first series of Shameless (USA).

Yesterday I was so frustrated about not having anything to do, that I dedicated my evening to decorating a hard-boiled egg for my mother to place on a colleague's desk for a joke. (The joke was because she was starting the "egg diet" - you start off eating no less than nine eggs a day, and then gradually lower the intake as the week progresses. Stupidest thing I've ever heard, but you know what middle-aged women are like for fad diets.) Anyway, I made a wig out of wool, a leopard print dress lined with red ribbon, and stuck googly eyes on her face - complete with green eyeshadow and giant lashes. It was pretty impressive I must say... but the degree of usefulness? Zero.

What I'm trying to say is, being unemployed is majorly shit. I want to work, and I want to do something before my brain rots completely, between episodes of Jeremy Kyle and wondering what to make for dinner.

I might take some advice from my biggest influence - music - and use these lyrics as my motto for the rest of the week: "Today is the first day of the rest of our lives," and actually do something productive before the weekend is over!


No comments:

Post a Comment