Saturday 21 April 2012

Hard Work & Coffee

Ah, a nice cup of warm coffee; the bitter taste of hard work. I suppose this means I'm growing up, does it? Not  more than a year ago I would've announced to you that hard work was the gritty displeasure of Pro Plus tablets under my tongue, coupled with that wonderful feeling of my contact lenses shrivelling to dust on top of my irises. Oh, wasn't college a barrel of laughs. Getting older is definitely a bitch, but I must admit, I'd rather take the coffee.

Anyway, I've decided to call my new song "Blondie".

Blonde hair has been quite a major fascination in my life recently. There's just something about blonde girls which develops this funny kind of lust within my girlie self, which I have finally decided not to fight, but embrace. There's a pot of peroxide with my name on it next month, so goodbye brunette days!

After a long time thinking about it, I've come to the conclusion that there comes a point in every woman's life where she has to decide whether or not she wants to take the leading roll in the story of her future, or subside to be a sub-plot in some other bitch's autobiography. As much as I hate to admit it as a natural brunette, if hair was a metaphor for success, a blonde would be cast in the leading roll, wouldn't she?

I've always been inspired by the world of celebrity, and through this little fascination I've noticed that if you want to really succeed, and I mean not just get your name on the door succeed, but to become nothing short of a cultural icon, in order to buck the stereotype you need to firstly embrace it. It's easy; go blonde, wear pink, slip on a pair of heels more imposing than the dick you're trying to impress, and get cast in the leading roll. Once you've clawed your way in, shove a great pointy Loboutin in the door and start acting as brunette as you could possibly imagine.

I've written "Blondie" as my first piece of writing dedicated to Lady Gaga, actually. The way in which she embraced the blonde, shallow stereotype of a pop artist to force her way into success instead of compromising her talent and intelligence is inspirational. I'm writing at the early point of transition between blonde and brunette character, and how she was perceived by the world to be nothing more than a one-hit-wonder unless you really took the time to listen. In a way it's also a "fuck you" to a lot of the people I associate myself with, who point-blank refuse to believe she's talented, without even listening to a live performance, or a song besides Poker Face or Bad Romance.

I'll post it as soon as it's finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment