Wednesday 15 February 2012

Tastes Like Mommy's Kisses!

If ANYONE gets that reference I'll reward them personally with a bottle of Jack Daniels and a reality TV house party.

Over the past couple of weeks I've found myself consistently on the verge of writing a post inspired by the shade thrown at Valentines Day through the internet. Why nowadays, is it the norm to ruin nice things? First it was Christmas, and now this. We don't need to be reminded about the commercial birth of the "holiday", and if you don't feel like buying any of the tacky crap, then don't, but please, don't ruin it for everyone else. We aren't all born with hearts of stone. "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

My Valentines Day was different... but at the same time perfect. I spent most of the night awake, listening for my boyfriend to make sure he was comfortable and most importantly that he didn't choke in his sleep. He had two operations on Monday you see, so I've been his nurse for the past couple of days. During Valentines, I overcame my squeamishness by helping him clean his septum with a nasal douche and replaced his bloody bandages countless times. We went out, but only to the chemist to buy bandages, and then the supermarket for painkillers and grapes.

I think about how much I love him every day, but the fact that it was Valentines Day gave me an excuse to remind myself even more. No, we weren't enticed by tacky gifts or spent 24 hours dwelling on the fact that it was a... *gasp* commercial holiday, we instead spent time together, thought about each other, and enjoyed simply being around one another because we're in love. I don't understand why anyone would want to put a downer on a day to celebrate romance, even if it is just an extra excuse to say "I love you" aloud at times you would have just felt it inside.

The specialness of Valentines Day has been ruined by pessimistic people complaining about shallow gifts and stereotyping the style others celebrate the day. Please, make love, not war! Don't bring others into your pit of despair when they have chance to have a happy day.

Next Friday if he's feeling any better (and if I'm feeling any better too, since coming home I think I've gotten a head cold) we're going to go to a restaurant, and I get to give him the card I've had ready for a week or so. But... even if we do, it'll be on top of Tuesday, not instead of it. Staying in and being close to him on Valentines Day, feeling adored, is better than a meal anywhere in the world, even made by a Michelin star chef!

No comments:

Post a Comment